Structure Fire with 40 Cats Inside Home
DATE: 08/17/14 CASE:14-09161
LOCATION: Akron Way
WHO LIVES THERE: David Struble
WAS ANYONE INSIDE:Yes
WAS ANYONE INJURED: Not from the house but two fireman were
WAS ANYONE KILLED: No
ANY PETS INJURED OR KILLED: Yes, see narrative
WHAT FIRE DEPARTMENTS RESPONDED: Hopatcong
WHAT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE: At this time it appears to have been a lit cigarette tossed into a trash can in a bedroom
WHERE DID IT START: Trash can
IS ARSON SUSPECTED: No
WHAT IS THE EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE: Extensive damage
ANY OTHER INFORMATION: Police and Fire responded to a structure fire on Akron Way. They found heavy smoke coming from the residence. The elderly female who owns the house was outside with her son in law David Struble. David was holding the female who has Alzheimer’s and was trying to get back into the house. David stated that he was in his room and heard the smoke alarm going off. He saw smoke coming from the elderly female’s bedroom. When he opened the door he found a fire in the trash can next to the bed. It was believed that the elderly female who smokes threw a lit cigarette in the trash can which caught fire. David had to carry her out of the home because she did not want to leave. There were approximately 40 cats living in the home. Between 10-15 died in the fire. Another 6 to 12 ran out of the house when the firemen were entering the home. 22 were saved and taken out of the house by the firemen. Two fireman were injured. One twisted his knee and the other was scratched by several cats while removing them.
There are now 20 domestic short hair and long hair cats that are in the Hopatcong pound that need to be adopted. The cats will be spayed and neutered before adoption by the Hopatcong Pound. Anyone who is willing to adopt any of the cats can call the Hopatcong Animal Pound at(973) 479-3659.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.