I just wanted to reach out and Thank You All for the incredible support that Boy Scout Troop 150 had this year regarding the Adopt A Family Program! As everyone knows, this is a community service program that the Boy Scouts of Troop 150 in Sparta conduct every year and each year our goal is to help as many people in need that we can reach! This year we set records in many areas and it was only possible because of your generosity and support! Again – Thank You!
No donation was too small and every penny helped! I want to especially thank all the new contributors this year – you made a huge difference! We hope that we can count on all of you again in 2015!
So this is how Boy Scout Troop 150 did:
1) We raised over $9,000 in less than 6 weeks – Just Incredible!!!! Every Scout earned $15 which they contributed to the Adopt A Family Program and many Scout’s earned in excess of this amount which went directly to helping those in need!
2) In addition to the individuals we purchased gifts for, we also contributed to many other individuals and families! In total we supported 61 families!!! As we do every year, over 90% of the gifts were warm clothing items that were needed by these families in need!
- In addition to the 61 families, we also purchased gifts for 20 homeless individuals
- We also purchased and contributed to 20 children in domestic violence shelters and other housing facilities
- We also provided gifts to some of the 397 students who are in impoverished areas.Perhaps next year, we can buy something for all of them!
3) We also had a goal of purchasing 1,300 food items for the Sussex County Food Bank located at The First Presbyterian Church in Sparta. This food pantry supports 350 families every month and are always looking for food donations! Boy Scout Troop 150 actually supplied over 2,200 food items (exceeding last year’s contribution by ~1,000 items). Included in this total were Hams and Turkeys that were provided on the Troops behalf by a local Sparta company – Thank You!!! We have helped countless individuals and families with this food donation and it was only possible again, because of you!!
NJ Inside Scene reporter Jennifer Jean Miller joined the Troop on the shop night and here is also a link to her story! http://insidescene.com/2014/12/boy-scout-troop-150-makes-record-breaking-donations-to-area-families-in-need/
Melissa Estock of WMBC News also attended the event and will be broadcasting her show this evening between 5pm-6pm. This is a link to the stations web page: http://wmbctv.com/
I have also attached several photos of the gift delivery and food purchase. The photo of the black bags being dropped off at the church does not include 10 additional bags of warm clothing items that were also donated. In the NJ Inside Scene news article, you can see additional photos of the shop night with the Scouts and I will also forward some as soon as I have them in hand!
On behalf of Boy Scout Troop 150 and the countless individuals that your generosity has helped, Thank You Very Much! This would have never been possible without you!
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to you and your families and Wishing You All The Very Best in The New Year!
Again, Sincerely, Thank You!
Boy Scout Troop 150 – Sparta NJ