NEWTON – In honor and celebration of New Jersey’s 350th Anniversary, the Springboard Shoppes in Newton will be a stop on the New Jersey 350 (NJ350) Pop-Up Store tour. This unique statewide program of temporary stores has never before been attempted and will travel over 1,000 miles during NJ’s 350th anniversary year.
The location in Newton for the NJ350 Pop-Up Store will be one of sixteen temporary store sites that have been chosen in 14 communities during 2014. During that period, more than 350 independent businesses will be represented within the temporary locations. In fact, the store in Newton is the only Pop-Up location in Warren and Sussex counties. The common thread of all the stores includes items representing Jerseyana (made in New Jersey items or reflecting New Jersey), NJ350 branded merchandise (hats, shirts, and more) and unique offerings from local businesses that vary in each host community.
Stores will be open to the public for three to 12 days, depending on the community. At the Springboard Shoppes, the NJ350 Pop-Up Store will run from Tuesday April 1 through Saturday April 12. The hours of operation will be: Mondays through Fridays 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“Springboard is happy to host this innovative and celebratory concept here in our region,” noted Jonathan Andrews, founder of Springboard Shoppes. “Spring Street in Newton is a quintessential Main Street, and the perfect place to celebrate New Jersey turning 350 and Newton turning 150 years old.”
The store in Newton will include a variety of free-to-the-public special events as part of its programming:
- On April 1 at Noon, the store will host a Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting with local, county, and state officials;
- On April 4 at 5pm, the store will hold a book signing and meet the author event with Rutgers University Press author Alan Siegel, author of Disaster!: Stories of Destruction & Death in Nineteenth Century New Jersey. Siegel is a lawyer who practices in Chatham, NJ and one of the chapters in the book covers the Great Newton Fire, which destroyed nearly all of Main Street. Come hear from the author himself!
- On April 7, the Pop-Up will welcome County workers for Sussex County Day at the store. Employees can show their ID for 10% off any NJ350 Branded merchandise.
- On April 9, the Pop-Up will welcome Thorlabs workers for Thorlabs Day at the store. Employees can show their ID for 10% off any NJ350 Branded merchandise.
- On April 11 at 1pm Newton will be celebrating its own 150th birthday downtown on Spring Street and at the Pop-Up Store with a cake, libations and a great time! From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. the Spring Street Arts Center will also be hosting a Wine and Cheese Reception – meet the artists, buy great works of art and sign up for classes.
- More local events and Sussex County author book signings to be announced.
About Springboard Shoppes:
The Springboard Shoppes are located at 145 Spring Street and is the retail business incubator for new businesses and budding entrepreneurs in Newton. A number of cornerstone businesses on Spring Street including PB&J Stores, Inner Designs by Robin Lennon and The Perfect 10 Hair and Nail Boutique, catapulted with the help of the incubator. The Springboard Shoppes is host to a variety of retail establishments as well as The Table, a quaint café specializing in coffee, conversation and camaraderie. Additionally, the Spring Street Art Center, a gathering place where local artists teach classes and create their works, as well as the Newton Winter Farmers’ Market (through Saturday, April 23) are found there. For more information, go to http://springboardshoppes.com/.
ABOUT NJ350 Pop Up Stores:
The NJ350 Pop-Up Store project is made possible by Main Street New Jersey, the NJ Department of Community Affairs and the NJ Historical Commission, and is sponsored by vend, SnapRetail, IKEA, Friends of NJ State Museum, RetailMinded, Storesigns.com, ITO Design, Alignable, and the NJ State Museum. Promotional partners for this year-long program include Independent We Stand, Be A Localist (BALLE) and the American Independent Business Alliance. NJ350 offers a total of 16 pop-up stores throughout 2014 in locations such as Atlantic City, Westfield, Montclair, Boonton, Trenton, Bridgeton, Newton, Hammonton and Highland Park. For more information, visit NJ350ShopLocal on Facebook and Twitter, or on the web at http://officialnj350.com/category/shop-nj350/.