Newton Medical Center Announces Transition in Leadership
NEWTON, NJ – Newton Medical Center recently announced that Tom Senker, FACHE, President, NMC, and Vice President, Atlantic Health System, will transition into retirement in 2014 after a 43-year career in health care administration. Joe DiPaolo, Director of Operations, Newton Medical Center, assumed the role of President, Newton Medical Center, and Vice President, Atlantic Health System, effective January 1, 2014.
Senker will remain at Atlantic Health System throughout 2014, working with DiPaolo for three months, and then on special assignments through 2014.
“It’s truly been a wonderful journey for me, with great memories and the opportunity to have worked with many talented people, including so many who understand the hospital’s vision and have taken personal ownership in assuring a vibrant future for Newton Medical Center,” said Senker.
Senker arrived at then-Newton Memorial Hospital in 2005 as its president/CEO and successfully led NMC through its merger and integration into AHS in 2011. Under Senker’s leadership, the hospital has garnered numerous accomplishments and earned multiple accolades, including:
- Top Hospital overall in New Jersey for two years in a row among hospitals with 350 beds, according to a survey of physicians by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
- An “A” gradefor patient safety in the Fall 2013 update to the Leapfrog Hospital Safety ScoreSM
- Accreditations by the American College of Radiology for digital mammography services and the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission for heart services, as well as the 2012 Outstanding Achievement Award by the Commission on Cancer.
- Primary Stroke Center certification and the new Telemedicine Electronic Stroke System, offering patients immediate access to stroke specialists at Atlantic Neuroscience Institute
- The 2006 opening of the Charles L. Tice Heart Center for Diagnostic Services
- Expanded access to quality care at Sparta Health & Wellness, including the area’s first cancer treatment center; Vernon Health & Wellness/Urgent Care and Milford Health & Wellness in Pennsylvania
- Providing community benefit by offering thousands of hours of health care education and screenings, support groups and classes to assist those in need.
- Affiliation with Atlantic Health System, one of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in New Jersey
Senker has been a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives since 1985. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of Sussex County Community College, Pass It Along and the St. Kateri Finance Council. He previously has served as a board member of the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce and has held various leadership roles in many health care, charitable, and civic organizations in multiple states over his career.
The recipient of numerous academic and health care awards, Senker received the SunHealth “Service to Alliance” Award and the Sussex County Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Leadership award.
A resident of Sparta, New Jersey, he has been married for 39 years to Margaret Bridget McNamara Senker, and they are the parents of three adult children and three grandchildren.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.