DO NOT PUT HOT ASHES FROM YOUR FIREPLACE/WOOD BURNING STOVE INTO THE WOODS:
DATE: 11/21/14 CASE:14-13555
LOCATION: Rollins Trail
WAS ANYONE INJURED: NO
WHAT FIRE DEPARTMENTS RESPONDED: Hopatcong
WHAT WAS THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE: Hot ashes
WHERE DID IT START: in the woods
IS ARSON SUSPECTED: No
ANY OTHER INFORMATION: A homeowner took hot ashes from their fireplace and placed them into the woods. It started a brush fire. While waiting for the Fire Department Officer Mancuso and Officer Kern tried to rake leaves away causing a bare area to stop the spread of the fire. The fire had the help of a stiff wind and when it hit old Christmas trees that were dumped there, the fire grew too big. The Hopatcong Fire Department arrived and put the fire out.
I asked Hopatcong Fire marshal Richard Cook what to do with hot ashes. He advised to put them into a metal bucket and either hold them for a minimum of 24 hours before dumping them or sprinkle them out and douse them with water. Last year we posted a fire when a person put ashes that they thought were out into a plastic bucket. That is no good. You must use a metal bucket like the picture shows.