NEWTON, NJ – On 2/6/15 at 3:45p.m., the Newton Police Department received a 9-1-1 call from the resident of 3 Summit Avenue reporting a fire at his residence with possible entrapment of his newborn infant.
Newton Police officers responded and found the second floor apartment on fire with flames coming out of the kitchen window.
The caller was able to evacuate his 3 day old daughter and his girlfriend. Newton Police officers were able to evacuate 2 neighboring apartments that contained 2 residents.
The Newton Fire Department and Newton First Aid Squad were assigned and responded to the scene along with the Sussex County Fire Marshall, Fredon Twp. Fire Department, Andover Twp. Fire Department, Lakeland First Aid Squad, Newton Water & Sewer Department and JCP&L. The caller, his infant daughter and a neighbor were all transported to Newton Medical Center as a precaution for smoke inhalation.
The American Red Cross was contacted and provided temporary housing and clothing for the residents of the 3 apartments.
Investigation revealed that the origin of the fire was a result of a cooking accident that caused extensive damage to the apartment and adjacent apartments.